How to Apply for 2021 Summer Internship
- Review Applicant Eligibility, Program Structure and Key Dates sections below.
- Review internship projects, organized by field of study below. Choose 2 you want to take part in – you will be asked to include these on your application.
a) Environmental Science Projects
b) Environmental Engineering Projects
c) Environmental Law, Policy, Economics & Arts Projects
- Fill out and submit the application form here: https://forms.gle/2Y9tspjysFgKezFUA
To be eligible to apply for the I-STEAM Pathways program, you must:
- Be a self-identified First Nations, Métis or Inuit undergraduate student attending a post-secondary institution in Canada. (Preference will be given to First Nations, Métis or Inuit resident in Alberta).
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate program or pre-undergraduate program (e.g. post-secondary transfer program in an accredited College). Preference will be given to those who have completed at least 1st year of post-secondary in Alberta.
- Complete the application form (available here from December 23, 2020).
- Be willing and available to work as Summer Environmental Research Intern between May 2021 and August 2021 (shorter work periods are possible upon negotiation with specific projects).
- Provide proof of enrolment in an undergraduate program at a Canadian post-secondary institution – only applicable to those who are shortlisted for an interview.
Note: As part of our two-stage selection process, only applicants who are successful in the first stage will be contacted to participate in an interview before the final selection is made.
- A paid, full-time summer research internship (8-16 weeks in duration), supervised by a University of Alberta faculty member and experienced researcher. Full funding for intern salaries (~$3000/month gross) is provided by I-STEAM.
- A series of one-day seminars on environmental-related topics.
- An end-of-summer celebration of achievements in which students will present the research they engaged in during their internship and receive certificates.
Key Dates and Timelines
- December 23, 2020: Students applications portal will open. Selected projects will be advertised online for student applications.
- January 22, 2021 (11.59 pm): Student applications portal will close.
- February 15, 2021 – Interviews: Applicants who advance from initial screening to the interview stage will be contacted for an interview.
- February 28, 2021: Interns’ recruitment will be completed, including initial screening, interviews, selection and matching of final student internship candidates to supervisors/projects. Supervisors will be invited to participate in the interview and process of matching students to projects.
- March 1, 2021 -Final Selection: Applicants who are successfully interviewed and matched to a project and supervisor will be informed from this date.
- May-August, 2021 – Internship Placements: Project placements will vary in length from 8-16 weeks. All projects will take place within this timeframe.
If you have any questions regarding the application and selection process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org