- Check your eligibility below,
- Review the available research projects HERE and select your preferred three (Note: you may not be allocated any of your preferred choices),
- Complete and submit the application form HERE.
To be eligible to apply for the I-STEAM Pathways program, you must:
- Be a self-identified First Nations, Métis or Inuit undergraduate student attending a post-secondary institution in Canada. (Preference will be given to First Nations, Métis or Inuit resident in Alberta).
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate program or pre-undergraduate program (e.g. post-secondary transfer program in an accredited College). Preference will be given to those who have completed at least 1st year of post-secondary in Alberta.
- Be willing and available to work as Summer Environmental Research Intern between May 2022 and August 2022 (shorter work periods may be possible upon negotiation with specific projects).
- Provide proof of enrolment in an undergraduate program at a Canadian post-secondary institution – only applicable to those who are shortlisted for an interview.
- Complete the application form through the link above (available from December 23, 2021).
Note: As part of our two-stage selection process, only applicants who are successful in the first stage will be contacted to participate in an interview before the final selection is made.
- A paid, full-time summer research internship (12-16 weeks in duration), supervised by a University of Alberta faculty member who is an experienced researcher. Full funding for intern salaries (~$3000/month gross) is provided.
- A series of one-day seminars on environmental-related topics.
- An end-of-summer celebration of achievements in which students will present the research they engaged in during their internship and receive certificates.
Key Dates and Timelines
- January, 28, 2022 (11.59 pm): Student applications portal will close.
- February 2022 – Interviews: Applicants who advance from initial screening to the interview stage will be contacted for an interview.
- February 28, 2022: Interns’ recruitment will be completed, including initial screening, interviews, selection and matching of final student internship candidates to supervisors/projects. Supervisors will be invited to participate in the interview and process of matching students to projects.
- March 1, 2022 -Final Selection: Applicants who are successfully interviewed and matched to a project and supervisor will be informed from this date.
- May-August, 2022 – Internship Placements: Project placements will vary in length from 8-16 weeks. All projects will take place within this timeframe.
If you have any questions regarding the application and selection process, please contact us at email@example.com