Supervisor applications and project submissions for the 2023 internship program are open until November 25, 2022. Complete and submit the application form HERE.
Key Program Objectives
- Provide Indigenous undergraduate students with opportunities to get involved in research, thereby providing a pathway to advanced degrees
- Provide mentors for Indigenous students as they undertake their journey
- Increase the capacity of Indigenous communities to respond to the significant environmental challenges of this time; and
- Interweave Indigenous knowledge throughout the program and where possible, into the research.
Project Supervisors Responsibilities
- Oversee a research project aligned with environmental education goals (e.g. environmental sciences, law, policy, engineering) and relevant to Indigenous communities.
- Supervise students in a practical field/research experience (35 hours/week for 8-16 weeks between May-August)
- Mentor the intern(s) in their development of research knowledge and skills, as well as in their exploration of career pathways in environmental science
- Attend a seminar on mentoring Indigenous students on Friday April 28, 2023.
Due to the possibility of ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, we ask that contingency plans be included which will as far as possible provide a quality research research experience for interns.
Key Dates and Timelines
- October 28, 2022: Submission portal will open for the Summer 2023 internship program. Professors/supervisors are encouraged to make project submissions as early as possible from this date.
- November 25, 2022: Submission of supervisors project proposals close.
- December 9, 2022: Supervisors will be notified if their project has been selected after proposals have been reviewed by the I-STEAM leadership team.
- December 12, 2022: Students applications portal will open. Selected projects will be advertised online for student applications.
- January 20, 2023: Student applications portal will close.
- January 2023 – Interviews. Applicants who advance from initial screening to the interview stage will be contacted for an interview.
- February 2023: Interns’ recruitment will be completed, including initial screening, interviews, selection and matching of final student internship candidates to supervisors/projects. Supervisors will be invited to participate in the interview and process of matching students to projects.
- February 17, 2023 -Final Selection: Applicants who are successfully interviewed and matched to a project and supervisor will be informed from this date.
- May-August, 2023 – Internship Placements: Project placements will vary in length from 8-16 weeks. All projects will take place within this timeframe.
If you have any questions regarding the research project submission and selection process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org